Saturday, November 29, 2008

A New Take On Darko

Everyone who's seen Donnie Darko has their own ideas about what the movie is really trying to say, with director Richard Kelly's take being about the least interesting of all. This essay by film critic Jim Emerson (whose Scanners blog is a lot of fun and worth checking out) poses one of the most wild and oddly convincing theories I've come across. Was Gretchen Ross just a figment of Donnie's imagination? Does Donnie have something of an unhealthy preoccupation with his sister's love life? I'm not sure I agree completely with Emerson's take, but this is certainly one of the more intelligent discussions of the movie that I've read.

1 comment:

DTG said...

Wow. Thanks for that. Indeed, trust the artist and not the art. My gosh, I wish Will and I had recorded our thoughts on what was really going on after first viewing of that film.

It was also a fun read because it reminded me of the time I got too high and watched Blade (this was back when I did such things). Now I can't watch the film because of the insane conclusions my enlightened mind concluded about Blades disposition with the vampires.

Take from that what you will. I'm just glad the guy recommends the original version to the directors cut.